This delicious gluten free lasagna recipe will become your bread and butter this fall. Trust me.
My mom was not much of a lasagna cook so the lasagnas I ate growing up were mostly Costco frozen lasagnas. Nothing against those for sure! Then we went to Disney World and at the Trattoria al Forno at the Boardwalk and I began my pursuit for a good, homemade lasagna recipe so I didn’t have to fly to Florida whenever I wanted one. Then my in-laws made us this lasagna, and I was changed. Though it wasn’t quite the same as the Trattoria al Forno lasagna, it was life changing. And gluten free!
Here is the recipe for the best and only gluten free lasagna recipe you will ever need.
Gluten Free Lasagna Recipe
I had no idea how labor-intensive lasagnas were because, again, my only introduction to them growing up were the frozen ones. This recipe does require a lot more time than I usually prefer, but the result is so worth it!
You will first need to chop the onion, lemon basil (we’ll come back to this later), and spinach so it’s all ready.
You will start by cooking the ground beef like normal and then draining the fat. Move the meat to a bowl and wipe out the pan before you heat up the olive oil to cook the onion. Once the onion is cooked, add the minced garlic.
This is the fun part. Add the meat back into the pan. Then add basically everything else – the tomatoes, the lemon basil, spinach, and black pepper. You can replace the lemon basil for basil, but I highly suggest getting lemon basil. It adds a citrusy essence that really brings out all of the other flavors. It’s so worth it.
You let this concoction simmer for about 10 minutes. Longer if you want it thicker. I’m a little impatient, so 10 minutes is perfect for me. You will want to start preheating the over to 380°F.
While the sauce is simmering and the oven is preheating, mix the parmesan cheese, cottage cheese, and egg together.
Once the sauce has simmered, you can start preparing your lasagna! Spray the 9×13 pan first then add the meat sauce on the bottom. Then add these Barilla gluten free noodles (always get oven-ready!), the cheese mixture, and finally the mozzarella cheese. Then repeat! You should be able to get about 3 layers in. Make sure you finish up with the mozzarella on top.
Once you’ve got your lasagna assembled, wrap it in tin foil and cook it in the oven. You will cook it for about 40 min first and then remove the foil and increase the oven temp for the last 10 minutes.
There you have it! That is how you can make a super easy gluten free lasagna recipe. It’s just a little time-consuming, but oh so worth it!
OTHER POSTS YOU MIGHT LIKE:
Gluten Free Lasagna Recipe
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 1/4 tsp salt separated
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 large onion chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon basil chopped
- 2 cups spinach roughly chopped
- black pepper to taste
- 1 (10 oz) box oven ready, gluten free lasagna noodles
- cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cups cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese shredded
- 1 large egg
- 4 cups part-skim mozzarella cheese shredded
- Heat a large, deep nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the meat, season with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, and cook for 4 to 5 minutes. Drain the grease and put the meat in a bowl. Wipe the skillet clean with a paper towel.
- Put the skillet back on the burner over medium heat. Add the olive oil and onion and cook, stirring, until soft, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the minced garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Return the meat to the pan, add the diced tomatoes, lemon basil, spinach, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt, and the black pepper to taste. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes. Remove the lid and simmer uncovered for 5 minutes, or until thickened if you prefer.
- Preheat the oven to 380°F.
- In a medium bowl, combine the cottage cheese, Parmesan cheese, and egg.
- Use cooking spray to coat a 9 × 13 × 2 1/2- inch baking dish. Spread 1/2 cup of the meat sauce on the bottom. Make a layer of oven ready noodles over the sauce to cover the bottom of the dish. Spread 1/2 cup of the cheese mixture over the noodles and sprinkle with 1 cup of the mozzarella, top with 1 1/2 cups meat sauce. Make another layer of noodles, 1/2 cup cheese mixture, 1 cup mozzarella, and 1 ½ cups of meat sauce. Repeat the layers with the remaining ingredients for a total of 3 layers. Finish the lasagna with the topping of mozzarella cheese. Cover the dish with foil.
- Bake for 40 minutes. Remove the foil, and bake for 10 minutes uncovered at 385°F until bubbling and the cheese is melted. Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes before cutting.